Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Daily "Schedule"

     I was going to attempt to catch you up on each day that I've spent here so far, but I'm beginning to realize that I don't think that is going to happen, so instead this will become somewhat of a "catch up" post, and then the daily posts will possibly begin. Possibly. :) So, I am currently living in an apartment on the 4th floor of a center called El Jordan (Centro de Apoyo y Orientacion). The Christ-centered ministry works with families (mostly with women and children, but some men too). Many of the people live in poverty and some live on the streets or are second generation street kids. The Center offers classes to women (such as typing, English, sewing, etc), so they may become more educated and sustainable. There are bathrooms, showers, laundry, and sometimes meals provided here as well. Some of the women travel many, many, long, dirty, miles to be here. El Jordan offers free childcare for babies/toddlers, and also for older children when their mothers are in class. El Jordan is also used as a distribution center, so many clothes, shoes, etc are donated and given out here. Other special evening activities occasionally occur here as well. Check out more at : http://www.eljordan.org/aboutus/reality.htm
   My daily week day schedule tends to be: staff meeting at 8am (ish), 9-12pm (caring for the babies), 12-2:30 (lunch and free time-everything in Bolivia "shuts down" during this time), 3-6:30pm (caring for the babies), free/evening activity. I should clarify now that Bolivia runs on "ish" time if any place ever did! It's a pretty relaxed and go with the flow kind of culture. I have the privilege of serving in the baby room while I am here. They are so precious! More to come about mis bebes, I'm sure. I've also been able to spend some time playing with many of the older kids as well. They think because I'm much bigger than they are, that I MUST be good a fútbol (soccer). Not gunna lie, it's pretty fun to be picked first for their team (maybe accidentally deceptive)! So, there you go. That is a very basic overview of what I'm doing while here. Although it might not seem like it, every day has truly been an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment